Sunday, May 18, 2008

Activation by Schema

First of all, I would say it's totally true that the schema activates my reading process. I'm going to take just one simple example, TOEIC. As I believe all the students in Korea should have seen how the TOEIC effects on whole society, I strongly think most of university students (and even high-school, middle-school too) have taken that test at least once or more. So, we all know the process of solving the questions of TOEIC and how to read it. However, the more familiar to the passages I become, the less attention I tend to give to them. For that reason, If any sort of little unfamiliar question shows up, I cannot avoid myself being embarrased. At that time, "schema" works amazingly.
First, I scan whole passage and try to find any clues for my guessing. Once I catch up anything, I judge what the passage is about. Then previous knowledge which was deep in my mind comes out. For example, If I see the word 'Fallingwater' and the name 'Le Corbusier', I can conclude it is about architecture. And I recall the books about architecture, miscellaneous information about architecture and architects, and even pictures of Le Corbusier. ;)
Eventually, I can complete my job rather easily, whatever questions are given.
(of course only when I have at least a little tiny information about the question.)

1 comment:

BaeBee said...

Hey, dude.

The "f" in "Fallingwater" has to be capitalized! lol

j/k, never mind! :)